Monday, May 15, 2017

5/8/2017: Altitudinally challenged once more -- the Great Wall at Jinshanling

We set off this morning in our little bus for the Jinshanling section of the Great Wall, which is relatively distant and so less visited than the nearer sections.  On the way, our guide explained that farmers displaced by the highway that had been built to this section were given permission to sell souvenirs to visiting tourists, and that they also helped people over the steeper parts of the path from the cable car to the Wall itself.

OK, we got to the cable cars, and I paired up with B (who is relatively thin, has a PhD in anthropology and also a law degree -- taught at John Jay and then worked in mental health law) and tried not to look down too much as the cable car inched up.  Meanwhile, several local women had tried to chat us up before we got on the cable car.  They went up by foot and were there before the cable car landed.  One attached herself to me, and, as the trail got steeper and turned into steep steps, she (all 90 lbs of her) grabbed my elbow and all but hauled me up the steps.





I guess I'm afraid of heights. 

When we got to the watch tower on the wall, I ate my lunch, posted some pictures of the Wall on Facebook, and then started crying and texting Leon and Aaron that just in case my weight broke the cable car cable or I tumbled down the mountain, I loved them.  (Did I say there was cell phone reception in this rugged, remote place?). Leon and Aaron, bemused, texted back reassuringly. 

Meanwhile, the lady who'd hauled me up the steps refused to accept money for her help; she wanted to sell souvenirs.  I bought a paper cut book from her for $40.  Then she started showing me little silk handbags ($14 each), and saying she made them herself and needed money for her little children at home (maybe grandchildren?) and I thought what the heck, and bought two.  I thought, it's rural development, I guess.  Her name is Ms. Chin.  I took a couple of pictures of her.



I was really quite scared of going down, but of course it wasn't as bad as I feared, and Ms. Chin had a VERY firm grasp on my elbow all the time (Leon had sent me his hiking sticks -- they helped too).  B and I survived the cable car descent (the local ladies scampered down the hillside and met us at the bottom, and continued their selling efforts with the others in the group.). Ms. Chin, however, just nodded and smiled at me.

Did I say that my cell phone seems not to be blocked at all?  I can get Facebook and Google -- I even googled "grass mud horse",  a meme from 2009 in response to efforts by Chinese censors to clean up the internet, and got results.  On the other hand, when I use my iPad in the hotel, I can't get the NYT or the Wash Post, or Google or FB.

We journeyed back to Beijing, to Tianamen Square, which is truly vast (109 acres).   I was too tired to walk around much in the allotted time, and talked to Cindy, our guide.  She was curious how I'd made my way around Beijing on my own for 2 days, and I explained Chinese friends from Beijing had given me advice.  I explained there were lots of Chinese actuaries (she had to look that up).  

I gave her my copy of Evan Osnos' Age of Ambition (otherwise I'd just schlepp it home & give it to the Swarthmore Library)--she was interested in reading it.  Actually, I'm impressed how many in our group have read some of the recommended background books.

At any rate, our guides are taking good care of us.  They cancelled tonight's dinner in the hotel (they thought Sat night's dinner wasn't that good) and took us instead to a restaurant a block away, and also moved back our train trip to Xi'an tomorrow so we could eat lunch at a restaurant instead of on the train.  I told Cindy about the saying that an army marches on its stomach and she laughed.

No comments: