Monday, May 15, 2017

5/6/2017: Start of Tour

Met a couple from the Road Scholar tour this morning at breakfast.  She taught math & engineering at the HS level.Anyway, they were well informed, had read many of the books Road Scholar had suggested for the tour, were easy to talk to.

We swapped tales of how adept our children had been with computers at young ages.

I have to confess, I'm not very intrepid.  For one thing, I have yet to use a restroom outside the hotel.  I've been coming back at lunch partly for that reason (partly because I get tired and my legs hurt after a morning of walking).

Today, I'd told myself I was going to visit the Bell Tower and the Drum Tower.  Now, it should have occurred to me that sights incorporating "tower" in their name usually involve stairs.  I paid for my ticket (to both the bell & drum towers), entered the staircase of the drum tower, and saw this huge flight of steep stairs -- there were banisters, but I couldn't imagine being at the top of them and looking down, and descending step by step.  My courage also failed me at the Bell tower.  So that was $4.20 wasted.





I wound up going to Behai Park -- very pretty walkways, on a lake, a wiser choice for someone so altitudinally challenged.

I went to the restaurant across the street -- not as nice as the Szechuan one for yesterday -- it specialized in Shannxi cooking, but I ordered green beans with peppers and, when the waitress pointed to some peppers in a picture, I nodded my head vigorously, maybe too vigorously, because the dish came back with immense amts of Szechuan peppercorns.  My triumph was, I managed to ask "Please bring (cooked) rice" and they did!!  I was so proud of myself.


All in the name of experience.

The tour met for the first time this evening, in a private dining room. (Where and when to meet hadn't been in the pre-trip literature -- I asked at the front desk, but they didn't know).  I went down to the lobby @ 5:30, and saw the couple I'd met at breakfast.

We had beers -- mine came in a very odd, asymmetric glass that listed to the side 


No comments: