Thursday, July 19, 2012

SF 7/13/2012



.  Scurried home last Thurs & packed.  Had spent Mon night scanning pics of A as a baby & child for A to send Alex and also supplied links to old annuals, which amused Alex (she thinks A has changed v. little).

On my way out of the house the next morning, realized the back door to the LR had been unlocked for the last month (ulp!).  Flight out was fine, but 5.5 hrs is a long time to sit in an airplane seat (flew Vergin America on Louise’s rec).  Hadn’t appreciated what a schlep it is out to here, and of course A does it every time he comes home.  The airplane has a system where you request paid an unpaid refreshment through the screen in front of your seat – svce quite prompt.

Retrieved my bag & called A (who works near the airport), thinking all the time about the cashier at our local Chinese, who asks about A, remembers him eating w/ his football buds, and who said, they don’t come home from SF.  Thinking about him settling out there.

views from A's office



A picked me up in Bertha (his 2000 Subaru – he says she’s a lesbian).  Showed me his office (complete w/ a couple of colleague’s dogs), introduced me to his future boss (his boss is going back to school for a Masters in Public Policy), who was sweet & praised A’s work & said that her Mom had come to visit & taken pics (so of course I had to take pics of the view of the ocean out the window).  He recently moved to a (shared) office from an intyerior cube.  After showing me around & printing out directions from Millbrae to my hotel, he took me to lunch at a nearby sushi place, where we ate 6 huge sushi rolls between us (he & Alex had overslept that morning, and he’d eaten v. little breakfast).   

He said it’s premature to conclude he’ll settle in SF; right now, the main issues on his mind are finding a dentist & getting Bertha’s oil changed (it’s been 15k miles).  Then he needs to figure out his career.

He asked was I still going to services – I had to admit it was much less frequently than before, partly because of the number of Saturday’s I’ve worked (but I could work on Sunday instead of Sat – it’s all priorities, isn’t it).

Anyway, we demolished 6 large rolls of sushi (I feeling guilty because it was my 3rd meal of the day – he laughed and said I was like a hobbit (who eat 6 meals a day – I didn’t know), and he drove me to Millbrae, and I made my way to Powell St (v. touristy, end of one of the cable car lines) and walked up to the Stanford Court – v. nice room looking out over the corner of Powell & Calif (both of which have cable car lines) – little round booth at the corner (I just googled – it’s a signal booth).

A came & got me after work, took me to his house (the LR full of German girls, since Larry, one of the roommates, is being a host through couchsurfing (an organization that matches travelers & couches in hosts’homes) to build up points for a trip to Europe.

Went to a small Italian place near his house, in a lesbian nbhd, the Vega, where we both had vg gnocchi (AND a lot of vg bread and olive oil, AND I had a panzella, AND we split a smallish dessert).  A drove me back to the hotel where I slept like a log.

No comments: