Saturday, August 31, 2013

Biking near Hoveton



8/22/2013 (Wed).  We breakfasted & scurried to the bike rental place near Hoveton, on the River Bure (just East of Wroxham)  S had researched the route he wanted to go on line – back country roads to Horstead Mill, and then return by a path that borders the Bure Valley RR line, whose gauge is somewhat less than 1 foot wide. (Total distance about 9 miles).

The roads are narrow – single lane, really.  Two cars can’t pass,  Some places a car can pass a bike, some places it can’t, and (news flash) I’m timid, so I dismounted & scurried to the side for everything.  Fell once, on the RR-side trail, as I was obsessing over a miniscule ridge that of course I steered into.

We bought a cream tea in Coltishall, and ate sandwiches – I’m not even sure I burned any calories.  But my legs could barely get me up the stairs to our room.

I’m writing this sitting on a little balcony at our b&b.  S’s doing laundry.  I offered to go w/ him & help and he pointed out that I never do at home, so why should I start now?




S’s adventured doing laundry.  First he couldn’t find the Laundromat – drove past it 3 times before he located it, on the opposite side of the street from where he expected.  Then, the vending machine for soap wasn’t working, so he set off on foot, and went some distance to a Morrison’s before finding it – actually, to a Pound-store (the equivalent of a Dollar-store).  In fact, there was laundry soap in the first store he looked in, but it had a name he didn’t recognize – something like Daz—and was shelved next to the dish detergent, so he thought it was another dish detergent.  Then, most of the washing machines were out of order.

No comments: