Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sat 8/20/2011 - Broadway, Chipping Campden, Cirencester




We drove over to Broadway -- pretty, but it didn't really grab me, and then to Chipping Campden, which is really lovely - buildings of all eras -- 14th - 19th cent, all in the same honey-colored limestone.

Church of St. James v. nice - chapel with 17th cent effigies of worthy couples w/ incredible neck ruffs carved in marble. Couldn't find the floor bronzes in the chancel that were described. V. comfortable looking church. We ate lunch in a 14th century pub -- I had a little of S's hard cider.

By the time we'd wandered around, it was well after 3 & I wanted to see the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Cirencester -- S kept threatening I should drive but good thing I didn't, since we had to scurry to get to the church by 4:30. V. handsome 17th cent floor stones, all specifying profession: soap boiler, or printer or clothier. Also 14th cent bronzes in the altar of one of the chapels.

No comments: